Shilton History .

SHILTON, a parish partly in the hundred of FARRINGDON, county of BERKS, and partly in the hundred of BAMPTON, county of OXFORD, 2½ miles (S.S.E.) from Burford, containing 256 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Oxford, rated in the king's books at £5. 5. 5. Miss Georges and others were patrons in 1808. The church is in Oxfordshire, the greater part of the parish in Berkshire, and the vicarage-house upon the boundary of the two counties. A charity school is supported by subscriptions.

Topographical Dictionary of England, Lewis, 1831

 

 
 

Early Records

Extracts from the village scrapbook

"The first reference to Shilton occurs (in the form *Sculfton) in a charter dated 25 January 1205.  That this Shilton is declared by Ekwall (Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place Names, 4th edn., Oxford 1960) to be in Berkshire is explained by an eccentricity of uncertain origin which allocated the church, churchyard and a portion of the adjoining vicarage to the county of Oxford, the rest of the village to Berkshire.  This may derive from the charter of 1205; in that transaction King John made over the church and manor of Shilton together with Great and Little Farringdon, Great and Little Coxwell, and Inglesham to the Cistercian house of Beaulieu, Hants., which had been founded six months earlier.  At any rate, Shilton was not restored to Oxford until the middle of the nineteenth century.

There is no doubt that an Oxfordshire Shilton named in an earlier charter (1044) does not refer to the present village; the boundaries cited in the charter locate it in the valley of the Windrush, south of Witney between Cogges and Ducklington; there is no evidence that a village ever existed there although the name Shilton Ham survives." 

More on this from 'The Oxfordshire Landscape' Frank Emery, Hodder & Stoughton 1974

"Yet some of the  river land was used as watermeadows, part of which belonged to Shilton a village six miles away from Witney in dry limestone country- another case of long-distance appropriation of meadow"

But where is Shilton Ham I can find no reference to it on either current or historic maps???

 

Our Ancient Barn

"The royal grant of 1205 is probably responsible for the only considerable and identifiable archaeological remains in Shilton.  In their exhaustive monograph on the barns of the abbey of Beaulieu (The Barns of the Abbey of Beaulieu at its Granges of Gt. Coxwell & Beaulieu - St. Leonards (University of California Press, 1965), Horn and Born declare that of the estimated two to three thousand Cistercian barns once existing in England, only two certainly remain - those at Coxwell, Berkshire, which is intact, and Beaulieu-St. Leonards, Hampshire, which is ruinous, both are former granges of Beaulieu. On the evidence of an ink sketch-plan in a scrap book in the Avery Library, Columbia University, Crew York, Horn and Born allow the possibility that a third example of a Cistercian barn may have existed substantially intact at Shilton as late as the middle of the nineteenth century.

That Horn and Born did not attempt to verify their conjecture is presumably explained by a note at the foot of the sketch, in the hand of F.S.Waller (1832-1905) whose work it was, declaring "All now destroyed".  In fact the barn existed and was still used for a barn until very recently (1970)."

 

History Links

RAF Broadwell

History of Shilton Airfield

Bradwell Grove

Local Community Site and History

‘Maternity Home’ at Stonelands and a Pub Too

The following is an extract from a short essay on the history of Stoneland or Sworn Lains prepared by the Asthall History Group, thanks to Lisa Woollacott, for the copy.

"The House appears to have had an Inn licence from at least 1753 when it was called ‘The Lamb’ and the licence was held until 1779 by John Packer, occasionally by Ann Packer.  It then seems to have changed its name to ‘The George’ (1782) and the ‘The Fox’ (1783-84) when Stephen Pratley was publican.  There are no entries under Asthall from then on but in 1791 Isaac Hanson appears as the publican of Sheakespear’s Head, Stone Lands and he continued as publican of the Shakespear until 1795, in 1796 Isaac Thomas is given as the publican but this may be a clerical error.  The inn may have been rather a rough house – the Packers were committed to Oxford Castle for murder in 1755, but acquitted when the informed confessed that he was the guilty part, and Jackson’s Oxford Journal also records that a burglar had taken refuge there in 1771, and was apprehended by the Sheriff."

Full Essay

"An Early Maternity Home at Stonelands"